The Washington Counties Risk Group (WCRG) is a property and liability risk pooling program for Washington counties. WCRG was formed in 1998 with three founding member counties, and now provides services to a quarter of the state’s counties. A board of directors governs the program.
WCRG is an insurance pool with a higher purpose. Our mission is to provide a sustainable risk pool, with the highest quality of services, in the state of Washington.
The WCRG Board of Directors contracts with a program administrator, Clear Risk Solutions, to carry out day-to-day administrative duties. They have specialized in risk pooling for over 40 years and administer several other pools in Washington which serve schools districts, municipalities, and counties. They work on WCRG’s behalf to secure necessary coverages, provide risk management, claims, and underwriting services, and work closely with the Board of Directors regarding pool initiatives, regulatory compliance, legislative matters, and more.
- Reinsurance Coverage: WCRG self-insures losses that are manageable and predictable. Reinsurance coverage is purchased to protect the members against catastrophic claims.
- Aggregate Stop Loss Coverage: WCRG purchases aggregate stop loss coverage to protect the program assets against an abnormal frequency of claims in one year. This coverage minimizes the risk of any retroactive assessments if the liability losses exceed the amount budgeted and collected from the membership.
- Risk Management: WCRG offers a comprehensive range of risk management and loss control services. By reducing the number of claims through membership education, overall insurance costs are reduced.
- Claims / Litigation Management: Through WCRG’s program administrator, claims are adjusted and handled in-house. Aggressive third-party adjusting is enhanced by their awareness of the individual needs of the membership. Members are included in the planning process and are vital to litigation settlement discussions.
- Broad Coverage / Competitive Cost: WCRG aims to provide the broadest coverage available to public entities. Controlling costs and providing stable rates throughout unpredictable insurance cycles is paramount to WCRG. The ultimate goal of the program is to reduce losses through on-site education and through sound fiscal management, eliminating large insurance cost fluctuations.